Wednesday 20 August 2008

The National Anthem; Do we respect it enough?

I was just at a shopping complex near my home, walking around, window shopping. My grandmother and I were enjoying the day, when all of a sudden, we heard Negaraku being played on the shopping complexes PA system. We, unlike everyone else, stood straight amongst the piercing stares from other shoppers. After the National Anthem finished, we voiced our dislikes and how it was an inconvenience. We then left to avoid the stares if the National Anthem played again.

I understand the playing of patriotic songs for this month as it is the Month of Independence. But playing the Negaraku is a bit much. This is the first time I've heard it over a PA system, but I have heard it many times on Radio stations and such. For someone who harbours a deep love and respect toward my beloved Country, I find it very annoying to have to stand straight every 15 minutes or so.

If you haven't noticed, the National Anthem is played during official functions, before a show at Istana Budaya, and every time it plays, we all STAND AS STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW AS A SHOW OF RESPECT TO THE NATIONAL ANTHEM. So why do you play it on radios? So drivers can stop in the middle of the road and stand by their cars (in the middle of the highway) to respect the National Anthem? Or at shopping malls, so people there (shoppers or shop-keepers) can stop whatever they're doing to respect the National Anthem?

Stop this misuse of the Anthem now. It inconveniences anyone who cares about it. Do you respect the National Anthem?

No comments: