Wednesday 31 December 2008

My Christmas

I don't know about you, but in my family, Christmas is always something we look forward too. The decorations, the location, the company.... and the food, of course. This year, we did not have as many people to cater to, as some of us had to go abroad to visit relatives and friends. Look at it this way: If 3 is a crowd, then 30-40 is practically a concert.

It started early, with the cooking of 3, perfectly marinated (for 4 days) turkeys. Then came the boiling of the potatoes for Mash and Roast Potatoes. Then we moved to Apple Crumble, Custard, Trifle, and Salad, of course.

We started eating at about 7.30. It was a beautiful evening, and the sky in Janda Baik was as clear as ever. Every planet, every star, all laid out for your enjoyment. Honestly, that's a moment when I know that God is by my side. Gazing with me, into the black beyond, laughing at the beauty of the simplest things.

We set up 1 tent outside, for the brave soldiers who might want to seek refuge there. Mind you, Janda Baik is still mostly forest, and home to many characters. Like the wild boar. Or the pesky snake. In front of the tent, we had a neat bonfire, supplying the tent with warmth.

After devouring what we could, the family++ moved to the 'camp' area. Plastic mats were laid out. Everyone chilled out by the fire and ate cooked marshmellows.

Yum.

Then, eventually, we ALL moved back to the house, where the adults decided to play the traditional game of 'Gin-rummy.' A great game that all the adults play together, filled with laughs, comedy, followed by more laughs. And sometimes attempts at killing one another. Especially if the killer lost the game.

'All together again,' I thought.

Thats the one thing about my family. We love being together. Those that fly from Kuantan, Johore, Ipoh, and even from London. My aunts and uncles were all raised together, thus all of my Mum's cousins are very close. And I'm happy to say that I myself am close to my cousins. And that's a bond that will never break.

Although some of us had to return the same night, most didn't. And indeed, the next day was as much fun as the night before.

My family, my life.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Love ya!

No comments: