Wednesday 6 July 2011

And it was all yellow...

The Bersih2 rallies are just round the corner. Latest updates tell me that steering committee chairman Datuk S. Ambiga has decided to hold the event in Stadium Merdeka, as a show of respect toward Yang Di-Pertuan Agong, Duli Yang Maha Mulia Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin.

... fitting that it be held in Stadium Merdeka, no?

Anyhow. After cracking up in front of the television yesterday, watching a Buletin Utama segment on how PDRM found stacks of Bersih2 tee-shirts alongside (brand new) parangs & (plastic!) Molotov cocktails, I've decided NOT to attend the Bersih rally for my own safety.

Not that I won't be there in spirit, of course. And in a show of support, I'll be wearing yellow every day until July 9th.




I find it hilarious how the Royal Malaysian Police Force has chosen to arrest anyone & everyone wearing a Bersih 2.0 tee under the Emergency Ordinance act. A case in Selangor has amounted to a victim posting RM4,000 bail.

For wearing a shirt.

Worse still, there are roadblocks everywhere around town, to nab Bersih supporters during their commutes. I quote a Minister who said the Bersih 2.0 rally would be a "nuisance" and a "general inconvenience to the public." Yet, those roadblocks, which are causing jams tens of kilometres long, somehow don't inconvenience the general public? HMM, I hear you say. HMM indeed.

Although the objective of Bersih is to rally support for free, fair & clean elections, I honestly believe that they've also managed to make the Government look more fallible. Politicians, pseudo or otherwise, have been toppled from their high perches, revealing their true colours.

And I'm sure I'm not the only one watching BN writhe & squirm as they watch their final vestige of hope, the Electoral Commission, be put under the microscope.

I'm looking forward to the next GE. Aren't you?



via BlackBerry®

No comments: